Thursday, October 14, 2010

Tastes Like Color

Sailing down the avenue
With boats strapped to our feet
Skate around the bend
Where the road doesn't end,
Where two other crosspaths meet.

When I kiss your eyelids
They taste like the brown they hide
And when I kiss your cheeks they taste
Of all the clumsy and thoughtless haste
Of the words that you let slide.

It doesn't bother me much
That you might have lost your touch
And lost your mind as well.
It's because I'm under your spell.
But I'm also in your clutch.

I licked blue raspberry Popsicle
Until it wasn't cold.
Red-like-tomatoes lipstick
Made you look like an idiot.
Made retro not look old.

The broken things we call our past
They're just calendars on the floor.
The new one's on the door.
And if we mess up that one too,
We can always reach for more.

11 comments:

  1. ...The broken things we call our past

    They're just calendars on the floor.

    The new one's on the door.

    And if we mess up that one too,

    We can always reach for more...


    ...you know I drop by and read your blog regularly and what you do with words always makes me smile (^_^)...love how you incorporated colors with your thoughts...

    ...if you haven't already, you should drop by this site and link this poem so others can check it out...

    http://poetryblogroll.blogspot.com/2010/10/thursday-think-tank-19-color.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion; I'll do that!
    Heh heh I really love colors and I feel that sometimes I use them too much. Don't want to get repetitive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The third para is very romantic...enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh love the way this poem ends up - with hope and always more calendar pages ahead.......good one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the calendar reference and your colorful
    prose~ Well Done

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the calendar reference too. There is always a new one right around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @umapoems I love that part too; it's very personal to me. I'm glad you liked it!

    @Sherry thanks! Yes, hope is very important.

    @Ellie thanks for the compliment and thanks for reading!

    @Mary I'm glad the imagery of calendars resonates with so many people. i wouldn't say there's ALWAYS a new one (we have to die some time) but hope lets us act like there's always a new one, always another chance, and that's what this poem is about, really.

    Thank you all so much for reading and taking the time to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Abigail Pearl,
    I am glad that I have found your blog, which I have added to follow.
    Your poem certainly was a variety of colours and life experiences.
    I liked your calendar reference. So true!
    Best wishes, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, Eileen. That means a lot to me. Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful color poem.
    wow, your ability to impress and convince is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete